I am a huge fan of Chipotle burritos and their burrito bowls. So, instead, I decided to make my own burrito bowls at home.
- White Rice
- Jalapeno Pepper
- Green Pepper
- Frozen Corn Kernels
- Can of Black Beans or Pinto Beans
- Salt, Pepper, Hot Sauce (optional)
Additional Toppings if You Want:
- Vegan Sour Cream (I’m a fan of Tofutti)
- Vegan Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Guacamole or Avocado
- Cook the white rice as directed with water. Add freshly squeezed lime juice (for each cup of dry white rice, I added about 1/2 – 1 whole lime juice).
- After the rice is cooked, add freshly chopped cilantro (add as much as you like). This creates your base, the Cilantro Lime Rice just like Chipotle. You can also do the same with brown rice instead if you’d like.
- Julienne the green pepper, onion and tomato (again, as much as you want and julienne means cutting them into thin long strips).
- Chop up the jalapeno and add it to a frying pan with the vegetables as well as the corn (again, as much as you want).
- Add salt, black pepper and hot sauce if you’d like.
- Next, add the beans.
- Pour all the vegetables on top of the lime cilantro rice.
- Add any toppings from vegan cheese to sour cream to guacamole (which is avocado, onions, a little jalapeno and tomatoes with some lime juice, salt and pepper).
- Add a bed of leafy romaine lettuce on the bottom to make it into a salad bowl instead.
- Put it all into a tortilla wrap to make into a burrito.
- Make a whole pot full to ensure you have enough for lunch for the whole week!
Also, if you haven’t heard, Chipotle is rolling out tofu in their stores! I love that place more and more every single day.
In addition, if you don’t have it already, they have an app to allow you to order your food before you arrive and have it ready for you. You can also pay through the phone. Skip those lines (especially in NYC, where it can get pretty crazy around lunch time).